5.1.07

My Daddy's Cannelloni

So today was my daddy's birthday
Last week we went to this real nice French restaurant and my dad ordered spinach cannelloni.. and fell in love with it
he wondered why we don't do it at home..

So today.. daddy's girl (me) decides to prepare a supriiiise for dinner!!
My sister made him his favorite desert, crème brule
and I was to do the cannelloni...

Got the recipe from the cook book
Got my stuff ready.. and began!

Half way through, my mom came in.. she was like.. are you making the cannelloni?
I was like, yes!
She freaked out for a moment (knowing my history in the kitchen, she had the right to do so)
Then she said "why don't you prepare it now and cook it tomorrow for lunch?"
I was like "I already started, and I want to do it today"
so she said "ok as u wish!" but I know deep inside that she wanted me to say ok mom will do it tomorrow...I got a bad feeling
Cos when my mom doesn't want something to happen.. it doesn't!!
Then I was like.. what the hell.. will try anyway..

My first time making cannelloni..
So half way through, I realize that we don't have eggs! so I run to my brother and beggg him to get some eggs!
After pleading and promising to be a slave for a day or two, I got my eggs.
So what's next??
aaah the filling is looking good!
I started filling the cannelloni tubes.. then I realize, I don't have enough filling!!
Now what???

Calm down tamtam... its ok.. just make 12 pieces, each person shall get 2.. it's only ur first time, they wont eat u!
Who am I kidding.

ok... all done! place them in the oven!
it says 30 to 35 min or until cooked

20 min later, i open up the oven to see how they r looking...
well.. not too good..
see.. the side edges of the tubes had nothing liquidy on them (no tomato paste or cheese) to they basically dried out.
the cheese that fell on the bottom of the baking tray burnt and started to smell
but the rest of it wasn't really cooked yet..

I sprayed some butter on it, hoping that it would get better
my dad came home at the best time for dinner..

but my family members always have other plans..
dad went out to see a friend who just came back from Hajj
my brother went to the gym
and my mom was studying for her exams

dinner was delayed for about 2 hours
I just left my cannelloni's in the oven while it was off

so finally.. when everyone was home and we finally got to sit down and eat together like normal families do, I went to serve the cannelloni's...
to my shock, they were stuck to the bottom of the tray...
I don't think I want to explain more... it just wasn't good!!
so I decided to throw it away…
why did mom have to come in??

Sat to the table, next to my daddy, with all my pride, and my big hidden self-disappointment. hoping that no one will notice.. especially the biggest tormentors on earth, my brothers
no.1 "where is the great invention you were working on when we came home??"me "umm.. I decided to give it up.. not too good for a nice occasion as this"
no.2 "ofcourse it wasn't good enough, u cant even make scrambled eggs!"no1&2 simultaneously "bahahahahahaha"

Then daddy interfered "shut up both of u, she's your older sister, show some respect! if it didn't turn out good today, she will try again tomorrow or the day after. but you two have no right of judging her!"

I drew huge smirk on my face.. gave my brothers the nastiest looks, and retained my glory
No one can make them both shut up the way daddy does

Will I try again?
Only if he reminds me.. I'm gonna forget it for now

Oh yea.. the crème brulle was very very good.. so now I have a grudge on my mom and my sister..

But at least he enjoyed it, and it made me happy

1 comment:

bent el deera said...

hehehehe
i really enjoyed reading it
:P