15.3.07

French classes? Or maybe not?

OK since there is nothing to do in God forsaken Kuwait, I decided to improve my French by taking French classes.

The most trusted academic institution here is University of Kuwait. and luckily, they offer night classes of all sorts, like language classes, business classes, computer classes, and mini seminars.

The other good thing is that it's open for everyone, Kuwaitis, and non-Kuwaitis.
Why is this a good thing? because University of Kuwait is public, meaning that it is for Kuwaitis only, meaning that, if you are a non-Kuwaiti who decides to study in University of Kuwait, your bakaloria's grades average should be above 92% at least, and on top of that, you should have some Vitamin Wasta for some support... and not any type would do.. it has to be the heavy caliber type..

Anywhooo..
Thank God I didn't have to go through that.. I just took the easy path and studied in Dubai.

So.. the night classes programs are part of Kuwait University's Center for Community Service & Continuing Education.
(yea it sounds like I'm advertising here)

They also offer Arabic courses for the non-Arabic speakers.
and the funny thing is, they offer "Kuwaiti Slang" classes!!
Yes! it is a whole course! in 3 months,2 classes a week, you can learn how to speak Kuwaiti!
Something I learnt when I was 4 or something.

I was wondering if they offered such a thing in Syria, how many "Syrian Slangs" would there be??
Ok, there is Shami, Horani, Durzi, Nabki, Homsi, Hamwi, Jabali, Halabi, Deiri, Shawi, the people of the coast alone have over 5 slangs (I think)...
Actually, in Damascus alone, there is a difference between the slang of a Qanawati and of a Mindani.
(I'm not gonna even talk about people who resided inside or outside the wall that surrounded old Damascus')

And that's diversity for you!!

I started classes this week. My classes are Saturdays and Mondays, 5-7.

This is the ironic part:
I am taking 2 classes in 1!!
How?
Well, my instructor and all of my classmates are Kuwaitis... and the spoken language in class is "Kuwaiti"
So, I'm refreshing my "Kuwaiti Slang" information besides learning French.

Pretty interesting no?

Some people find Gulf slangs really heavy and annoying (like my dad who has been in this country for over 30 years) but I don't know, I enjoy hearing it..

I personally think Language (Even slang) is the easiest key to a country's culture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

teaching their slang? this is really wierd...

But the French classes idea is very 8useful one :) good luck

tamatem * said...

yea.. actually they have some different vocabulary and weird expressions.. when you hear them talking for the first time you will think that they sound funny and weird... but its cool..

thanks for passing by :)