15.12.06

To do lists and procrastination

it's December again
The year is coming to an end..

This is the time of the year when you start to review your last year's resolutions and think about how you never managed to accomplish your aspirations... or at least half of them

so I had in mind to read a number of books this year... I read about half of them.. but not all..
It all comes down to 2 reasons:
Bad choices, and mood issues
I am satisfied with the books I have read, but I had to wonder why I (or anyone for that matter) don't accomplish many of the planned goals to the end.

Procrastination is a very big problem in this part of the world... I barely know anyone who doesn't procrastinate...
I believe it became part of our Arabic human nature

Why do we procrastinate?
Ok I shall speak for myself.
Because I like things to go smooth and perfect, I make up plans... and to do lists...
even when i redecorated my room, I made a to-do list for every step, that my sister almost lost it!
Why the to-do's? well sometimes when you have a gazillion thing to do, you have to write them down to keep track of what u r doing because you tend to lose your concentration.
after writing the to-do list, I find myself unable to do half of the things I planned to do
why?
reasons vary depending on the situation
It could be parents that would ruin your plans just cos they feel like it, or because they are afraid to lose you, it could be a stupid tumble dryer that doesn't want to work anymore, it could be an unfaithful friend who decides to stab you in the back when least expected and when you least need it, it could be an irresponsible younger brother that you have to take care of, or it could be that you are just out of it.

whatever it is, usually the main reason is: being overwhelmed.
when everything is perfectly planned, malfunction occurs during execution.
looking at your list and counting your steps and wondering... ooooh I still have to do this and this and that and what if I don't get it done... blaaa... that's when we start to push back our work and fail.

For me, when I do fight the laziness, and when I decide to become stronger than the overwhelming feeling, I succeed.
It gives a great feeling of accomplishment to stick to plans and finish them on time...

I have a small resolution for remaining of this year, and it is to finish the work project I started this summer, because it is about time. And I shall finish it before 2007 starts.

For the next year... I'm gonna let it go with the flow
I just hope that I will manage to get out of the mess I'm living in right now... that's all

No comments: