13.6.07

Almost..

About 2 weeks ago, my laptop's screen died on me, while the rest of the laptop was functioning great..
It was really strange but somewhat expected since I open and close the lid alot (I know it might not be related but deep down I believe it is)
I kept working on it by connecting it to an external LCD (my brother's monitor since he is in the middle of bakaloria exams now) but it was boring to work on one screen while the other one is blank.

I finally took it yesterday to the Dell people to see if they can fix it for me.. the guy looked at it, and said.. yea.. umm.. I'm gonna take it inside to check what the problem really is.. 3 minutes later, he came back saying that it's hopeless and fixing it will cost me 120 KD (about $330). I paused a little, so he made me an offer.. he said that I can exchange it for a brand new Dell laptop and only pay the difference in price. So I asked him how much my laptop was worth... he said "give me a minute to check with my people" I felt like I'm dealing with the mobs or something.
He came back to me and said he would buy it for 50 KD! I honestly didn't know what to make of this offer. I mean, I know that my laptop is 2 years old and it was priced at 500 KD when I bought it, but I don't really feel that it has been depreciated that bad!
The prices of the laptops they had started from 200 KD... and paying a difference starting of 150 KD didn't seem like such a bad investment, but somehow I still didn't feel like it's time to give up my beloved loyal laptop yet.. so I told the guy that I'm gonna sleep on it and get back to him the next day.

After I left the Dell store, I went to a repair man in an area very similar to ba7sa in Damascus, told him about the problem with the screen.. he said he wanted to check it out...
he unscrewed the frame, and checked some sort of chip at the back of the LCD. doing that, it took him over 15 minutes.. it got me thinking if that guy at Dell really checked what the problem was.
So the repairman kept checking until he told me that he has to change the LCD, and it will cost 50 KD. I told him to go ahead and do it!
and voila!! I have a brand new LCD on my old laptop... and everyone is happy! Except for the Dell guy who lost his deal and his commission.

It's really funny.. I was so close to buying a new laptop and leaving my old one behind.. I didn't have a big problem since I have already backed up everything.. But I knew it still wasn't time..

1 comment:

Ihsan said...

Well....getting a new laptop is not something bad after all....besides...2 year old laptop is not worth to spend much money on repairing it...

3ala kolain....see as I told u before, restarting your compute had nothing to do with the screen problem....