19.5.07

Flickr & Paypal

So I found out yesterday that I can finally upgrade my Flickr account to a Pro account. I couldn't do that before because Kuwait was not listed amongst the countries of residence to choose from. I had no idea why.

It was very annoying that I couldn't upgrade, I really wanted to do so, so I could create albums and sort the photos.. being the neat freak that I am, it is the only natural thing to do... and since I couldn't do that, I left it be and stopped uploading pictures once and for all.

I rushed and asked my brother for his internet credit card, and promised to pay him back.
I browsed to the page, entered my information at Flickr, and suddenly, it took me to Paypal's website..
Hello?? I'm paying Flickr using a visa card! why Paypal?
Yes.. it's one of those integrated marketing methods where it says "if you wanna buy that, you gotta buy this along with it.. this is an inseparable package". For the first time, I hated my Business major.

So I opened the Paypal account and all.. now.. all I had to do is pay Flickr and get the damned upgrade.
It turned out that I have to activate my Paypal account by 1. entering a verification number, which I will get the next time I get my bank statement (because they will charge a refundable $2 for the number!) and 2. by sending them a confirmation fax to activate the account!

Now I wouldn't mind opening a Paypal account, I heard good stuff about it. but there is only one small problem.. the credit card isn't mine! and I told my brother that I will only pay for the 1 year Flickr fee.

This is very inconvenient.
What if I was paying for a last minute thing?
What if I finally found something I was desperately looking for, from a store that ONLY accepts payments via Paypal, and it was the last piece in stock, and I had to wait for my bank statement to activate the account?! Believe me, it happens... and it happens to people like me!
I understand security, and I understand what Paypal is doing... but I don't understand what Flickr is doing... People should have more choices! not only Paypal!!

Anywho.. thank God my brother was understanding.. and we will see how stuff goes.

Speaking of convenience, Blogger has introduced blog drafts auto saving, just like Gmail!
yea.. it made me happy!

4 comments:

Sam... said...

So .. Neat Freak..:)
welcome to PayPal club...

The thing you are talking about happened to me when i was looking for something that i found on ebay and the guy accepted PayPal only..:(

and I was " Tricked" by PayPal's "One Click" away payment thing.
and you'll know the rest .. soon..;)

BTW, good thinking to organize the photos on flickr.
been thinking of doing that for a while .. but before i started loading the photos that your account is limited if it was not Pro... " Being Mr.research everything several times before you get/do it"....;(
So I stopped.. but I am gonna do it once i get the time or the mood.. which ever comes first..:)

See you on flickr ... soon.

Wow.. I talked alot... sorry :)

GraY FoX said...

ya3ny even if you are willing to pay , you have to pay according to their terms :|
3anjad annoying :|

tamatem * said...

sam: yea Flickr is very nice when it's neat.. and since u already have a paypal account, it wont be a big problem for you..
and what am i going to learn? :|

gray fox: yea it is annoying.. and extremely inconvenient
why do we have credit cards then if we r gonna paypal??

Ihsan said...

hmmm, weird! Cuz I have paid for 2 pro accounts in Flickr and it didn't go through my paypal..just my credit card! You can choose what payment method you want!

Paypal however is really neat! It makes your life easier if you wanna buy stuff from ebay and several other locations.... the verification process is long though but that's the price for getting a secure account I guess!